Wednesday, May 11, 2011

1789

[Disclaimer: I know I know, I've seriously been neglecting my blog and I have lots of backlogged posts. Soon. I promise. What am I doing that's keeping me so busy? Nothing. I'm sitting on my couch. But, soon.]

On Mother's Day, my parents spent the day moving all my furniture and crap out of my apartment and into a UHAUL truck. To celebrate my mom being awesome, and my upcoming move to Manhattan, we dined at 1789 that evening.

First, let me explain. When I was 13, my parents took me to 1789 as my first fancy restaurant experience. They also had a coupon in the mail. So now it seemed appropriate to go there a decade later.

We started with cocktails, and I startled the waiter when I asked for a Dirty Shirley. They brought out delicious bread with different spreads [arugula pesto, sea salt butter, and I can't remember the third but it was red and yummy]. We also had a complimentary mini app - sliver of potato with deliciousness on top.

The menu is laid out by primary ingredient which is a little confusing, but perfect for a multicourse dinner paired with a bottle of Bordeaux.

Below are the courses I ate...


Local Asparagus Salad a sunny side up pheasant egg,  
Everona Piedmont sheep’s milk cheese, toasted bread and lemon  



Gargati Burgundy snails, ramp pesto and fiore sardo cheese

Roast Quail (King George, VA) wild Oregon mushrooms, ramps, and our garden herbs

Strawberries and Cream 
yogurt panna cotta, strawberry sorbet and strawberry paper 


It was fantastic. The portions were all smaller so I didn't walk away doubled over. The quail was so flavorful. I had a great time trading bites with my parents dishes. The restaurant brought me back to my 13 year old self experiencing Georgetown for the first time. All in all, a great experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment