Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Invisible Children

If I could get on facebook (wahh... only 3 more weeks til Lent is OVER), I would show you a picture of Andrea. Sorry friends, but Andrea is definitely my most inspirational, awe-inspiring friend. After graduation, she bought a one-way ticket to Bangkok (the jokes were made, and are still funny). She traveled the world, sending us email updates from internet cafes in cities I've never heard of, and told us stories that showed me how boring my beige cubicle really was.

Before she flew back last summer, she applied to be a "roadie" for Invisible Children - a non profit that raises awareness about the devastating affects of the LRA in Northern Uganda. Last night I went to an Invisible Children screening at George Mason. No Andrea - she's in the Great Lakes region, after doing Texas last fall.

Invisible Children does an incredible job of humanizing something that can seem so far away. They energize so many people, and the passion and dedication of the roadies again just rubs in my face how boring my cubicle still is.

It's so refreshing to be reminded how important it is to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. I envy Andrea for being able to live that everyday.

Check out the trailer... I have a copy of the full video if anyone wants to see it. It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment