Thursday, April 14, 2011

Masa 14


Last night I went to Masa 14, a latin/asian fushion restaurant with small plates. I did take my own pictures, but the one above is from online. It's really cool inside, and wasn't that crowded yesterday so Becca and I had no problem being seated right away.

She'd been there once before so suggested we just get a bunch of things to share. I'm still drooling after last night's meal, it was such a variety of explosive flavors. The plates come out as their ready, which worked out perfectly because it gave us time to enjoy each dish.

First came the cucumber-avocado gazpacho. It was so smooth and full of flavor - and topped with pumpkin seeds and crab that added texture and salt. We would have licked the bowl had they not scooped it off our table with at least another spoonful... (my only complaint of the night)

Next came the spicy tuna sushi cone. I've never seen sushi like this, and at first Becca and I thought we could share bite for bite, but we ended each getting our own. The cone was the seaweed wrapping, and inside was the freshest spicy tuna I've ever had. It was chunkier than the typical blend in a hand roll. I wish I took a picture to show you, but better yet, go have it for yourself!

Then, we split a shrimp ceviche. It was light, refreshing, and had mandarin oranges paired with a kick. At about that time, our white sangrias arrived. The combination went well.

Next up, Red Thai Curry Mussels. They server brought tortilla chips to dip in the sauce after we finished the mussels. We were confused at first, but omg, it made so much sense when we saw the chunky soupy bottom of the bowl. I was honestly spooning it, chip or no chip. Also, half the mussels would normal size, and half were giants, which was cool.

We decided to order another plate to keep it coming and we choose the Salt and Pepper Calamari. It wasn't the really breaded much, which made it light and flavorful. It had a kick to it too, but I love that so it was perfect. The server warned about lose hot peppers, and thank god, because I almost ate one.

All in all, the food was awesome and I'd definitely reccomend it. I'm going to make an effort to try as many new places as I can before the big move. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment